25.9.15

TV is ruining my life

Firstly I'd like to apologise for my complete lack of attention once again towards this blog over the past couple of months. I'd like to give the excuse that I've been enthusiastically searching for a grad job (or even any job that's at least slightly relevant to my degree), however, even though I have indeed spent many hours registering with every recruitment agency in a 25 mile radius and getting myself into a tizz over improving my CV, there's one main pastime that has taken over my life since I left uni: television.
Of course when I say 'television' you've probably already guessed that I'm referring to shows streamed through sites such as Netflix rather than random daytime property shows, and apart from the occasional The Chase binge (I dare you to argue there's a better quiz show out there) you'd be correct.
Becoming addicted to several shows and binge-watching them in a matter of days is by no means a new hobby for people of my age, and of all the 'post-graduation blues' articles I've read on sites such as Buzzfeed, staying in bed for hours on end and becoming ridiculously involved in characters' lives is perhaps the most common treatment for said blues. I can guarantee almost every person I follow on Twitter is currently addicted to a certain show, whether they're wearing out the 'next episode' button on Netflix or watching it on let's say less legal sites (Coke & Popcorn is a personal recommendation.)
Over the past couple of weeks, I've realised that apart from working an eight hour shift every couple of days at my boring, and as a graduate let's face it soul destroying, waitressing job I am most likely to be found in my bed, with some kind of baked goods, watching my newest obsession; also, because of the speed at which I'm watching them, you can almost guarantee that if you pop your head into my room the week after I'll be watching something entirely different. Currently for example I am re-watching a personal teenage favourite, 'dramedy' Ugly Betty which ended over five years ago. A couple of days ago, I watched thirteen episodes over the course of the day. I started to sense this was becoming an issue.
Over the summer this was also the case for many other shows, either ones I'd previously hadn't gotten round to watching and had been highly recommended to me (The US Office, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Broad City) or 'old' favourites I still can't get enough of (Parks and Recreation, Gossip Girl, American Horror Story.) I even made a list on my phone at the start of the summer of shows I need to watch and re-watch. 
Interestingly I don't seem to possess the same enthusiasm for films, most likely because TV series' usually have an extensive amount of episodes available (some even all at once, hence why I easily watched the new series of Orange Is The New Black in two days.) 
Sure, I feel a certain degree of guilt when clicking 'next episode', knowing that I'm about to spend another twenty-forty minutes of my graduate life on the next ridiculously far-fetched storyline of Manhattan's elite (props to those who understand this reference), but becoming so involved also fascinates me. TV shows can create friendships between people who may never have ever interacted otherwise; they can inspire viewers in many aspects of life (Bake Off kickstarted my baking hobby, which I now believe I've actually gotten pretty good at), and most importantly, they can impact your personality as you start to become passionate about the show and its characters.
Prioritising your next TV binge over your career and personal life is clearly not advisable, but I do truly believe a keen interest in shows can give your otherwise normal life more substance and most importantly, make you happy. 
To round off this post (and before I get back to whatever scheme Wilhelmina Slater's orchestrating), I'm going to make a pact with myself that I'll start to post much more regularly on this blog. Who knows, you may even spot a review on the new season of American Horror Story on this blog very soon (Lady Gaga is going to crush it.) Oh and in a few days expect to see a post with some tips on how to enjoy uni for all you freshers! (I'm not jealous at all...) 




No comments:

Post a Comment